31 July 2009

Art Of The Reggae Album





Today marks my return after three weeks of accommodating my alternate's schedules... and I'm glad to get back in the saddle.

In the meantime, before the playlist and podcasts appear, I'd like to share an amazing pair of websites that celebrate the Art of the Reggae LP, both of which were revealed when digging around the cybersphere to learn more about the legendary dub pioneer, Scientist. Exhaustive research and an obvious appreciation of roots music and culture can be found at:

42 Reggae Album Cover Designs: The Art & Culture of Jamaica

and

I Am The Gorgon!

As my history with reggae began with vinyl, in fact, my love of music, also... there is no substitute for a 12" square piece of artwork. And, as you will see, the visuals on reggae LPs are at once dramatic, soulful, sometimes cheesy, at times outlandishly cartoony, vaguely ominous, and completely distinctive... and, almost always disguising the power hiding in the grooves, inside.

Not the least is the creative expression of the artists: unaided my computer enhancements or clip art, this is human, media and imagination at its most earthy and compelling.

'nuff niceness.

No comments: